Thomas Nevile Junior Research Fellow (Magdalene College)
JJ Thomson Avenue, CB3 0HE
Robert works on optoelectronics at the intersection of materials science, physics, chemistry and engineering. He is developing new materials for light emission and photovoltaics. Based in the Physics Department, he is working in collaboration with the Materials Science and Electrical Engineering Departments at Cambridge.
Previously, he was a postdoctoral researcher in the Photovoltaic Research Laboratory at MIT (2015-2016). There he was part of a team developing new design rules and methods for identifying defect-tolerant solar absorbers. This was in collaboration with theorists at NREL and the Colorado School of Mines. He also worked on developing new architectures for perovskite-silicon tandems in collaboration with Stanford University.
Robert completed his PhD (2012-2014) in the Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy and the University of Cambridge. He worked on tuning the energy levels of metal oxides made by atmospheric pressure chemical vapour deposition. This was used to improve electron extraction from thin film photovoltaics and electron injection into polymer and perovskite LEDs. Robert was awarded a College prize for best thesis. He was one of two scholars from New Zealand in his year supported by the Cambridge-Rutherford Memorial Scholarship for his doctoral studies.
A full publication list can be found on Google Scholar
- Robert L. Z. Hoye, Matthew R. Chua, Kevin P. Musselman, Guangru Li, May‐Ling Lai, Zhi‐Kuang Tan, Neil C. Greenham, Judith L. MacManus‐Driscoll, Richard H. Friend, Dan Credgington. Enhanced Performance in Fluorene‐Free Organometal Halide Perovskite Light‐Emitting Diodes using Tunable, Low Electron Affinity Oxide Electron Injectors. Adv. Mater. 27(8), 1414-1419.
- Aditya Sadhanala, Shahab Ahmad, Baodan Zhao, Nadja Giesbrecht, Phoebe M Pearce, Felix Deschler, Robert L. Z. Hoye, Karl C Gödel, Thomas Bein, Pablo Docampo, Siân E Dutton, Michael FL De Volder, Richard H Friend. Blue-green color tunable solution processable organolead chloride–bromide mixed halide perovskites for optoelectronic applications. Nano Lett. 15(9), 6095-6101.
Robert L. Z. Hoye, Kevin P. Musselman, Matthew R. Chua, Aditya Sadhanala, Ravi D. Raninga, Judith L. MacManus-Driscoll, Richard H. Friend, Dan Credgington. Bright and efficient blue polymer light emitting diodes with reduced operating voltages processed entirely at low-temperature. J. Mater. Chem. C. 3(36), 9327-9336.
- Robert L. Z. Hoye, Bruno Ehrler, Marcus L. Böhm, David Muñoz‐Rojas, Rashid M. Altamimi, Ahmed Y. Alyamani, Yana Vaynzof, Aditya Sadhanala, Giorgio Ercolano, Neil C. Greenham, Richard H. Friend, Judith L. MacManus‐Driscoll, Kevin P. Musselman. Improved Open - Circuit Voltage in ZnO - PbSe Quantum Dot Solar Cells by Understanding and Reducing Losses Arising from the ZnO Conduction Band Tail. Adv. Energy Mater. 4(8), 1301544.
- Robert L. Z. Hoye, Kevin P. Musselman, Judith L. MacManus-Driscoll. Research Update: Doping ZnO and TiO2 for solar cells. APL Mater. 1(6), 060701
- Kevin P. Musselman, Sebastian Albert-Seifried, Robert L. Z. Hoye, Aditya Sadhanala, David Muñoz-Rojas, Judith L. MacManus-Driscoll, and Richard H. Friend. Improved exciton dissociation at semiconducting polymer:ZnO donor:acceptor interfaces via nitrogen doping of ZnO. Adv. Funct. Mater. 24(23), 3562-3570.
New solar absorbers
- Robert L. Z. Hoye, Riley E. Brandt, Anna Osherov, Vladan Stevanović, Samuel D. Stranks, Mark W. B. Wilson, Hyunho Kim, Austin J. Akey, John D. Perkins, Rachel C. Kurchin, Jeremy R. Poindexter, Evelyn N. Wang, Moungi G Bawendi, Vladimir Bulović, Tonio Buonassisi. Methylammonium Bismuth Iodide as a Lead‐Free, Stable Hybrid Organic–Inorganic Solar Absorber. Chem. Eur. J. 22(8), 2605–2610.
- Riley E. Brandt, Rachel C. Kurchin, Robert L. Z. Hoye, Jeremy R Poindexter, Mark W. B. Wilson, Soumitra Sulekar, Frances Lenahan, Patricia X. T. Yen, Vladan Stevanović, Juan C. Nino, Moungi G. Bawendi, Tonio Buonassisi.
Investigation of bismuth triiodide (BiI3) for photovoltaic applications. J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 6(21), 4297-4302.
Atmospheric pressure vapour deposition (AP-CVD and AP-SALD)
- Robert L. Z. Hoye, David Muñoz-Rojas, Shelby F. Nelson, Andrea Illiberi, Paul Poodt, Fred Roozeboom, Judith L. MacManus-Driscoll. Research Update: Atmospheric pressure spatial atomic layer deposition of ZnO thin films: Reactors, doping, and devices. APL Mater. 3(4), 040701.
- Robert L. Z. Hoye, David Muñoz-Rojas, Kevin P Musselman, Yana Vaynzof, Judith L MacManus-Driscoll. Synthesis and modeling of uniform complex metal oxides by close-proximity atmospheric pressure chemical vapor deposition. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 7(20), 10684-10694.